Disney’s Wuzzles is an American animated television series created for Saturday morning television, and was first broadcast on September 14, 1985 on CBS. An idea of Michael Eisner for his new Disney television animation studio. The premise is that the main characters are hyrbids of two different animals
- Bumblelion (voiced by Brian Cummings): Half bumblebee and half lion, Bumblelion is mostly lion in appearance. He is a short, squat orange furred creature with a pink mane, fuzzy antennae, a lion’s tail, small insect wings, and horizontal brown stripes up his tummy. He lives in a beehive, likes sports, is courageous, and has a crush on Butterbear. He is said to be the sort who “rush[es] in where angels fear to tread”. He and Eleroo are best friends.
- Butterbear (voiced by Kathleen Helppie): Half bear and half butterfly, Butterbear is mostly bear in appearance. She has yellow fur with a white tummy, larger wings than the other Wuzzles, and short antennae with flowers on their ends. She is a keen gardener who is gentle and patient despite the crazy adventures of her friends.
- Eleroo (voiced by Henry Gibson): Half elephant and half kangaroo. One of the larger Wuzzles, Eleroo is purple, with the body shape and tail of a kangaroo and an elephant‘s trunk and ears. He has a horizontally striped pouch (despite the fact that pouches are found only on female kangaroos). Eleroo has trouble remembering what he stores in his pouch. He is sweet, but accident/disaster prone. He and Bumblelion are best friends.
- Moosel (voiced by Bill Scott): Half moose and half seal. Moosel is a small Wuzzle. He has antlers and flippers. Moosel has a vivid imagination, which makes him believe in monsters. He and Rhinokey are best friends.
- Hoppopotamus (voiced by Jo Anne Worley): Half rabbit, half hippopotamus. She is called Hoppo by her friends. Hoppo is a Wuzzle who is a hippopotamus with a rabbit’s ears, buck teeth and a fluffy tail. She has blue fur with a purple tummy, and she loves to sing and act. Hoppo is a pushy demanding diva, but she can be sweet. However, when toughness is called for (particularly in dealing with the regular villain, Croc), she is the toughest Wuzzle of all. Hoppo has a crush on Bumblelion, but Bumblelion has his heart set on Butterbear.
- Rhinokey (voiced by Alan Oppenheimer): Half rhinoceros and half monkey. Rhinokey is a Wuzzle who has a rhino-like snout with a horizontal-stripped horn, pink fur, and rhino-like legs. He is in a posture that is very much like that of a monkey’s. Rhinokey is a fun-loving, happy-go-lucky prankster. He loves to play practical jokes. He can be obnoxious, but he loves his friends. Rhinokey is Moosel’s best friend.
- Tycoon (voiced by Gregg Berger): Half Tiger and half Raccoon. Tycoon is the rich kid of Wuz. He owns a money tree. He shows the other Wuzzles that he got his wealth from smart investing and saving his money, and teaches the Wuzzles about fiscal responsibility.
- Crock (voiced by Alan Oppenheimer): Half crocodile, half dinosaur, and the main villain of the show. Crock is bad-tempered, lazy, vile, ignorant, a bully, and does anything to get what he wants. He always wants the best of what the Wuzzles have, but does not want to apply the effort to acquire it himself.
- Brat (voiced by Bill Scott): Half wild boar, half dragon, and Crock’s chief sidekick. Brat sputters, raspberries, cries, laughs, yells, growls, and grunts in his speech, but Crock understands what he is saying. Like Crock, he is very lazy and has a strong dislike towards the Wuzzles coupled with a desire to have the best of what they have without applying any effort towards acquiring it. As his name implies, Brat is very bad tempered and is often shown throwing tantrums when he does not get his own way. He is also greatly lacking in intelligence, and his incompetence often sees himself and Crock falling victim to their own devices, which in turn occasionally sees the two of them falling out.
- Frizard (voiced by Brian Cummings): Half frog, half lizard, and Crock’s other sidekick. Frizard is not particularly intelligent, but he means well and is more amiable in his manner than either Crock or Brat, and relatively more tolerant of the Wuzzles, but nevertheless very loyal to Crock; on occasions where Crock and Brat fall out, it is often left to Frizard to try and patch things up between them. His character essentially emphasizes tolerance of others who one is not particularly close to, while staying loyal to one’s friends regardless of whether their plans are morally right or not. Frizard does not appear in every episode, only making sporadic appearances throughout the series.
- Narrator (voiced by Stan Freberg): The narrator of the series, who would often be heard at intervals and broke the fourth wall, telling the audience points where he considered trouble ahead for the Wuzzles or explaining a certain facet of the island of Wuz. The narrator is possibly a Wuzzle himself.
Minor or one-shot characters
- Officer Eaglebeagle: Half beagle, half bald eagle. He is a no-nonsense cop who appears in the episodes “In the Money” and “Klutz on the Clutch”, both times dealing with illegal behavior from Rhinokey (allegedly robbing a bank and dangerous driving, respectively). His name may be a joke on the phrase “legal eagle”.
- Mrs Pedigree (voiced by Tress MacNeille): Half swan, half ostrich. She is a rich, sophisticated Wuzzle who is highly respected in the gang’s hometown. She made very brief appearances in the episodes “In the Money” and “Klutz on the Clutch” before having a major role in “Class Dismissed” when she hosted a swanky party at her estate.
- Transylvia: Half vulture, half monkey. She is the vampire–witch of the Terrified Forest. Her name is a joke on Transylvania. She looks a bit like the winged monkeys from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz or the Tenguof Japanese mythology, travels on a flying “boomerangstick” and is proud of the fact that people are scared of her, but seems to have self-confidence issues (until the end of the episode, anyway) and turned out to not be so scary once the gang got to know her (although she dissuaded them from telling anyone).
- The Dingbats: Transylvia’s henchmen, described as “part dingo, part bat, and ugly all over” by the Narrator. They don’t speak (apart from a few sniggers) and seem to be rather incompetent, bringing their mistress Butterbear when she told them to find butterberries.
- The Gorantula: Half gorilla and half tarantula. Transylvia’s pet, which was enlarged into an aggressive monster by a miscast spell and drove Transylvia out of her castle. The gang helped her to magically shrink it back to a more manageable size.
- Peter Parafox: Half parrot, half foxand the owner of Parafox Studios in Hollywuz. He spent most of “Hooray for Hollywuz” ordering his security to throw the persistent but unwanted Hoppo out of the studio. He doesn’t seem to be able to say anything without squawking loudly at some point during the sentence.
Katrina’s Toys specializes in toys of all types: plush, fast food, Disneyana, dolls, bears, actions figures, puppets & more! We have 1000′s of great toys for sale! Stop by and see what treasures we have for you! Katrina’s Toys is the place for toy collectors!
We invite you to visit our youtube channel Katrina9799′s Toy Channel. We feature videos of toys that talk, sing, move and dance! Subscribe today!
A great place to find information on your favorite toy. We discuss toys of all kinds featuring information, photos, and video! Thanks for visiting!